So, people ask, “How do you do it?”
I dream up my lists in my sleeping hours, wake up, and jot down the stuff I dreamt about. I even have a list to make on my list! My list today includes:
- Make holiday food list (from planned recipes for beef Wellington, lava cake, duxelles, bordelaise…)
- Grocery shop - that can wait until Monday
- Finish eggs (that means personalize the eggs, put the final finish on, let them dry, pack up the ones that need to be mailed, go to the post office, and move forward into the holiday)
- Get Phoebe’s gift, wrap grands’ gifts, pack and mail
- Call Perry’s – order 2.5 lb tenderloin (no silver)
- Horn Book award submission
- Order art supplies from Dick Blick
- Vacuum and wash floor – doubt that’ll happen
- Write blog post
Never before have I put blogging on my list, and when I woke up this morning I knew the only way I’d get it done is to put it on the list. The list gets triaged, and some things can wait for another day.
The photo shows how I operate.
There’s my egg list, today's list, art supply list, calendar with student list.
All the while I’m dreaming up my list for the New Year.
- Get a companion curriculum prepared for Nelson Telson
- Make a piece of really compelling collateral for the book that includes curriculum
- Make a reservation to the IRA convention in St. Louis in July (airline and hotel, too)
- Figure out how to engage educators and home schoolers
- Get the book in schools
- Sell the movie rights to Pixar, Disney or Spielberg
- Sell a million
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year – no resolutions here, just lists.