Friday, March 20, 2015

Running Rant - The Glory of Karma

Anyone who knows me knows that I am an activist when it comes to certain environmental issues including waste, both nuclear and household. Litter is not only unsightly and unhealthy, it's a crime against all that is good in the hood.
The barrel near Hedge Pond on Standish Avenue
When I first moved to North Plymouth over 25 years ago the litter was rampant, so I started cleaning it up. When my son entered the Hedge School 20 years ago, I started the Hedge Hood Clean Up Club, organized annual clean up days, and created public awareness with a vengeance.  I even went so far as to raise the funds for these trash receptacles.  These babies cost more than $500 apiece!  I worked with the parks department to have them put on Standish Avenue along the Hedge School walking route.  They really helped to reduce the amount of litter on the street.

Today when I was running, I came across this scene where someone had dumped their household trash, some in the barrel and since it was full they just left another bag near it. The bag was open and trash had spilled out, so I picked it up.  Lo and behold, I found an address.  The perp lives at 77A Forest Avenue Extension.  So, instead of running to the beach, I ran to that address. The people who live there were absent, but the lady next door who happened to be standing outside when I arrived told me that this was a second home and the people had just left for NJ for the weekend.  She used the pronoun "she" when she spoke of the owner.

When I got home, I looked up the address at Plymouth's Patriot Properties site.  Glory be, it's Glory (ha!) and Edward Mirabello who also live in Rochelle Park, NJ.  I did some googling, and come to find out,  Glory just happens to be the director of the Metaphysical Center of New Jersey.  
I don't know about you, but this has irony written all over it.  You don't need to be psychic to locate a dirtbag and know the owner uses Half & Half by the half-gallon. 

The Metaphysical Center of New Jersey has a web site and Facebook page.  Glory actually teaches classes in Metaphysics and Parapsychology which include Reincarnation and Karma.  Note to Glory: Public dumping is bad karma. You might remind her of that if you see her around town.  Here's Glory in all of her glory.
Metaphysical Center of NJ's  "mission is to educate, enlighten, and encourage spiritual evolution. Through classes, lectures, and various events, our aim is to spread light and to help people understand the purpose of life, their relationship to the Universe, cosmic laws, and the application of those laws to daily life. We believe in presenting people with many points of view so they can choose what seems right for them."

Instead of "spreading light" here in Plymouth, Glory has been illegally dumping her household waste.  Doesn't she know that public dumping and littering go against not only "cosmic laws" but the laws of nature and the Town of Plymouth?

This isn't the first time I've seen public dumping especially in and around local litter receptacles.  It's all over the place, Nelson Park, the bike path, and at the bottom of my street, too.
I've never tattled on these people.  I outed one guy (who happened to have been in law enforcement) on facebook, and then, using the address, found the landlord of another dumper.  But now I've decided to start getting more vigilant.  

Don't these people know that all they need to do is buy some of the orange PAYT bags, and they can find room in almost any blue barrel on trash day?  It's obvious to me that these people can afford to buy the bags, but don't feel like paying for the service. So, there's a cheap workaround.

One scary thing is, I worry if I report the dumpers, they'll start dumping not near trash barrels but in secluded spots - which many already do.

MY DILEMMA 
I can't decide whether to pop Glory an email of shame, out her on the Metaphysical facebook page, or just report her to the Plymouth authorities.  What would you do?




No comments:

Post a Comment